Indigenous Peoples Day in Conversation
- Dates & Times:
- 2:00pm - 3:00pm, Thursday, October 7, 2021
2:00pm - 3:00pm, Thursday, October 14, 2021
2:00pm - 3:00pm, Thursday, October 21, 2021
2:00pm - 3:00pm, Thursday, October 28, 2021
- Zoom Web Presentation 1
During the month of October, join us to honor Indigenous Peoples Day by reading, listening, learning, and discussing topics in the history of Native American communities since 1800. Each week we will focus on a historical topic by reading articles, listening to podcasts, or watching videos before meeting to discuss what we've learned. Please register online.
- Week 1: Removal Policies. Please read "The Indian Removal Act Was Used by the U.S. Government to Commit Ethnic Cleansing" and "Uprooted: The 1950s Plan to Erase Indian Country"
- Week 2: Education. Please read "Death by Civilization" and "How America is Failing Native Students"
- Week 3: The Missing. Please read "A Well of Grief" and "Fed Up With Deaths, Native Americans Want to Run Their Own Health Care."
- Week 4: Being Native Today. Please watch the short documentary "Lakota in America" and the documentary Urban Rez.
This online program uses the Zoom livestreaming platform. It will require access to a computer, mobile device with the Zoom app installed, and/or a phone for audio-only access.
Registration with an email is required in order to receive information on how to connect. The email will be sent three (3) hours prior to the scheduled start time of the program.